||Application for Extension of Period of Stay
||Article 21, Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act
|| Foreign national wishing to continue his/her activities authorized under his/her status of residence
|When to submit
||Up until the applicant's resident status expires (If the applicant is authorized to stay in Japan for 6 month or longer, the immigration office will start accepting his/her application form three months before his/her stay period expires)
|How to submit
||Applicant must fill in necessary application forms, make ready attached documents and submit a service counter at regional immigration office.
|Who may submit
- The legal representative of the applicant
- The following persons may complete the application procedure (submit the passport, residence card and application form, etc.) in lieu of the applicant.
- * A member of staff of the accepting institution, etc. or of a public interest corporation whom the director of the regional immigration bureau deems to be appropriate (in cases pursuant to a request from the applicant or the legal representative of the applicant).
- * An attorney or administrative scrivener who has given notification, via the bar association or administrative scriveners' association to which he or she belongs, to the director of the regional immigration bureau which has jurisdiction over the area where such bar association or administrative scriveners' association is located (in cases pursuant to a request from the applicant or the legal representative of the applicant).
- * A relative of the applicant, a person living together with the applicant or an equivalent person, whom the director of the regional bureau deems respectively to be appropriate (in cases where the applicant is under the age of 16 years, suffers from an illness or owing to other grounds).
||4,000 yen for extending the period of stay (Payment must be made with revenue stamps)
- Application form 1copy
- Photo (4cm×3cm) 1copy
If an applicant, who is not a mid to long term resident, wishes to extend his/her current period of stay (a photo is also not required for persons under the age of 16 years).
- *A photo that shows the applicant pictured alone.
- * The applicant should face squarely to the front and should remove any hats, caps or head coverings.
- * There should be a plain background with no shadows.
- * The photo must be sharp and clear.
- * The photo must have been taken within three months prior to submission.
- The supporting documents to be submitted on the occasion of application are shown in Table 3-2 1copy
(As applicant sometimes needs to submit document material(s) other than stipulated in the Immigration Control Act Enforcement Regulations, please refer to your regional immigration office or immigration information center.)
- Passport and residence card (or alien registration certificate deemed equivalent to a residence card)
- A document that proves the status (if a legal representative or agent submits the application form on behalf of the applicant)
- In principle, documents and materials which have been submitted will Not be returned to you. If you have submitted any original copies of documents and materials, which would be difficult for you to re-obtain, and would like to have them returned to you, please notify us when you file your application.
- Application for Extension of Period of Stay
(Note 1) The immigration bureau accepts this format if you print it out on Japanese Industrial Standards A4 format.
(Note 2) You sometimes print it out on a smaller format than A4. To avoid it, please turn off "Shrink Oversized Pages to Paper Size (K)" in the print dialogue box.
- Letter of Guarantee [PDF]
|How to fill in, and example
||Refer to your regional immigration office or immigration information center.
|Where to submit
||The regional immigration office in charge of applicant's intended address (Refer to your regional immigration office or immigration information center.)
||9:00 to 12:00 and 13:00 to 16:00, weekdays (For more information on office hours or days of week for specific application procedures, Refer to your regional immigration office or immigration information center.)
||Regional immigration office or immigration information center
||The activities must fall under one of the activities described in the right-hand column of Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act Annexed TableI,
(except for the activities listed under the status of residence "Diplomat" and "Official") or the activities of a person with the civil status or position as described in the right-hand column of Annexed Table II (the civil status or position in the right-handcolumn under "Permanent Resident" shall be excluded)
In addition, the applicant must face an adequate cause that requires extending his/her period of stay.
|Standard procedures duration
||Two weeks to three months