||Notification of a change in an item on the residence card (other than the address)
||Article 19-10 of the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act (hereinafter referred to as the “Immigration Control Act”)
|Person to notify
||A medium to long-term resident whose name, date of birth, gender, nationality, or region has changed (You will jump to the official website of the Immigration Bureau.)
|Time to notify
||Within 14 days of a change in any of the items mentioned above
|Who may submit
- The notifier (except for those under the age of 16 years)
- A representative
- (1) A relative aged 16 or above living together with the notifier, in cases where the notifier is under the age of 16 years, suffers from an illness (Note 1), or is unable to apply for the residence card owing to other grounds
- (2) A relative aged 16 or above living together with the notifier, pursuant to the request of the notifier (Note 2)
- An agent
- (1) People mentioned below who have obtained the approval for activities as an agent for application from the director of the regional immigration bureau, and who has received a request from the notifier
- *A member of the staff of the institution that is operated by, or employs, the notifier
- * A member of the staff of the institution in which the notifier is being trained or educated
- * A member of the staff of the institution that supervises activities for assisting foreigners in acquiring skills, technique, or knowledge
- * A member of the staff of the public interest corporation designed to provide for the smooth acceptance of foreign nationals
- (2) An attorney or administrative scrivener who has given notification to the director of the regional immigration bureau (in cases pursuant to a request from the notifier)
- (3) The legal representative of the notifier (except for relatives living together as mentioned in paragraph 2 (1) above)
- (4) A relative of the notifier, a person living together with the notifier, or an equivalent person, whom the director of the regional bureau deems respectively to be appropriate (in cases where the notifier is under the age of 16 years, suffers from an illness (Note 1), or owing to other grounds)
(Note 1)In the event of “illness”, please bring the medical certificate, etc. as necessary material.
(Note 2)In the event of proxy by “request”, please bringa letter of proxy 【PDF】as necessary material.
|The recipient of a residence card
||Same as above
||No fees are required.
- Notification form
- A photograph (Please submit a photograph meeting specifications mentioned below along with an application form, after writing your name on the back of the photograph)
※ You need not submit a photograph if you are under 16.
- The photograph shall be one in which only the applicant appears.
- The size of the photograph (excluding the margins) shall match the dimensions specified in the drawings above. (The size of the face shall be from the top of the head(including hair) to the tip of the chin.)
- The person in the photograph shall face the front, wearing no hat.
- No object (including a shadow) shall exist in the background.
- The photograph shall be clear.
- The photograph shall be taken no earlier than three months before submission.
- Documents proving that a change has arisen with regard to the previously described matters
- In the case of a change in the name due to marriage
The passport in which the changed name appears, and a marriage certificate (or a certified copy of the family register in the case of marriage with a Japanese citizen)
- In the case of a change in the nationality or region
The passport issued by the government of a country whose nationality you have newly acquired (Please bring the previous passport as well, if you still have it).
- In the case of a change in the name, etc. due to other causes
The passport and birth certificate in which the new name appears and judgment documents concerning a change in the name, etc.
( Note ) A residence card may not be issued on the same day unless you have had your passport modified or reissued.
- Application for Indication of Name Using Kanji Characters on the Residence Card
(only if you wish to have your name indicated both in alphabet and in kanji characters)
- Please present your passport or certificate of status of residence
- Presentation of the existing residence card (including an alien registration certificate regarded as a residence card; the same shall apply hereinafter)
※ Please ensure that the notifier is carrying a copy of the residence card in cases where any person other than the notifier undertakes procedures for notifying a change in matters to be stated in the residence card (except for the address) in connection with the notifier.
- The statement of reasons, if you cannot present your passport or certificate of status of residence
- Please submit some documents certifying your identity (if you are an intermediary for an applicant who is submitting an application form).
※ Please submit the documents mentioned below, if the residence card is not issued on the date of application and will be received at a later date.
- The application acceptance vote
- The passport or certificate of status of residence
- The residence card that is currently possessed
- Presentation of documents certifying your identity
||Notification of a change in an Item on the Residence Card
(Note 1) You can print this form on a sheet of paper of Japanese Industrial Standards Size A4 before use.
(Note 2) The form may be printed out in a scaled-down version, so please uncheck the box “Scale down the page according to the size of paper (K)” in the Print dialogue box before printing out.
|Where to submit
||The Regional Immigration Office (or the Immigration Information Center) is in charge of your address (Please ask the Regional Immigration Office or the Immigration Information Center.)
||From 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. on business days (A specific day of the week or specific time zone may be spared for some procedures, so please ask the Regional Immigration Office or the Immigration Information Center.)
||The Regional Immigration Office or the Immigration Information Center
||To comply with the requirements of Article 19-10 of the Immigration Control Act.
|Standard procedures duration
||Will be issued on the same day in principle.