langage change

Immigration Bureau of Japan

sp menu

Return of a residence card


Return of a residence card

A foreigner possessing a residence card must return the card to the Minister of Justice within 14 days of the date on which the card ceases to have effect, in cases where the foreigner is no longer a medium to long-term resident, or the valid period of the card expires, or the foreigner leaves Japan with re-entry permission but fails to re-enter Japan within the valid period of the re-entry permission, or the residence card possessed by the foreigner otherwise ceases to have an effect.

You can return the residence card either by directly bringing it to the Regional Immigration Office in charge of your address, or sending it to the following address by mail. If you fail to return the card within a prescribed period, you may be punished with a fine.

An alien registration certificate regarded as a residence card should be handled in the same way as a residence card.

(Destination of return by mail) Odaiba Branch Office, the Tokyo Immigration Bureau Tokyo Port Joint Government Building 9F, 2-7-11 Aomi, Koto-ku, Tokyo 135-0064

 ※Please write “The residence card to be returned” on the face of the envelope