langage change

Immigration Bureau of Japan

sp menu

Permission for Extending Period of Stay


Permission for Extending Period of Stay

A foreign national who stays in Japan with the status of residence may stay in Japan only during the permitted period of residence, in principle. Therefore, it will be a significant burden for a foreign national who could not achieve his/her original purpose of staying in Japan within the period of stay permitted upon the acquisition of a landing permit, and is thus forced to depart from Japan to newly obtain a visa and then re-enter in Japan. In this context, Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act authorizes Minister of Justice to extend foreign national's period of stay if he deems it proper to do so.

If a foreign national intends to extend his/her period of stay in Japan, he/she must apply to Minister of Justice for extending his/her period of stay in accordance with applicable procedures as set forth in the Immigration Control Act Enforcement Regulations.